Moon Gate

Moon Gate

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Winter 2012- seeds

I started some seedlings a couple of weeks ago, and they seem to be doing pretty well even though we don't have access to a greenhouse anymore. I'm growing 4 varieties of onions, leeks, and broccoli so far. I have them in the bay window on the south side of the house with some time outside in the sunshine when it's not too cold or windy out. The natural light is really helping- luckily it's been a warm winter.

This year I ordered most of my seeds from Fedco. I'm also getting some potatoes, shallots, and mushroom plugs from Pinetree. We had a small oak tree break in the October snow storm last year, so I'm going to have Bill cut it into logs and innoculate it with the mushroom plugs.

Last November we planted over 100 garlic cloves, and it's starting to poke above the soil. We also started gathering and spreading some composted goat manure from a local farm so hopefully this year's garden will be very fruitful.


No comments:

Post a Comment